3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe distributed by Wegmans' Supermarkets.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 3/4-3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 small onions, peeled
- 3 large celery ribs, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 lb baby carrots
- 3/4 lb tiny new potatoes, halved
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 2 cups red wine
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a small bowl, stir together flour, salt and pepper. Dust roast with seasoned flour, patting off excess.
- 3Pour oil into a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. When oil faintly smokes, add roast. Turn to brown on all sides, 8-10 minutes. Remove meat to a plate and set aside. Remove 1 tbsp of drippings and discard the rest.
- 4Add diced onion and celery to drippings in pot. Saute until onion softens and both are translucent, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomato paste and herbs and cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes until tomato begins to brown.
- 5Add wine, stirring to loosen any fond (browned bits) on the bottom of the pot. Simmer 5 minutes, or until wine reduces by at least 2/3.
- 6Add carrots, potatoes and pearl onions. Return meat to pot and add broth. Heat to simmering.
- 7Cover tightly and transfer to oven. Bake, covered, 2 hours. Carefully remove lid and bake another 30 minutes, or until beef is fork-tender. Skim off and discard any accumulated fat.
- 8Transfer beef to a clean platter and rest, tented with foil, 10 minutes before serving. Adjust seasoning of sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with vegetables and gravy alongside.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pot Roast Provencal
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 752.2
- Calories from Fat 410
- Total Fat 45.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 143.4 mg
- Sodium 619.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 41.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence