Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe distributed by Wegmans' Supermarkets.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 3⁄4-3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 small onions, peeled
- 3 large celery ribs, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 lb baby carrots
- 3⁄4 lb tiny new potatoes, halved
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 2 cups red wine
- 3 1⁄2 cups low sodium beef broth
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, salt and pepper. Dust roast with seasoned flour, patting off excess.
- Pour oil into a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. When oil faintly smokes, add roast. Turn to brown on all sides, 8-10 minutes. Remove meat to a plate and set aside. Remove 1 tbsp of drippings and discard the rest.
- Add diced onion and celery to drippings in pot. Saute until onion softens and both are translucent, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomato paste and herbs and cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes until tomato begins to brown.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen any fond (browned bits) on the bottom of the pot. Simmer 5 minutes, or until wine reduces by at least 2/3.
- Add carrots, potatoes and pearl onions. Return meat to pot and add broth. Heat to simmering.
- Cover tightly and transfer to oven. Bake, covered, 2 hours. Carefully remove lid and bake another 30 minutes, or until beef is fork-tender. Skim off and discard any accumulated fat.
- Transfer beef to a clean platter and rest, tented with foil, 10 minutes before serving. Adjust seasoning of sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with vegetables and gravy alongside.