Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My husband greeted me with this after I came home from a flight back East. He just threw it all together and with a house of teenagers it became one of the family's favorites. Our children are all grown now but they still are sharing this incredibly easy and wonderfully flavorful one-dish dinner with their families and friends. Bless all husbands who cook better than their wives!! Serve with hot bisquits and salad for a "company good" meal.
- 3 -5 lbs chuck roast (bone in or boneless)
- 3 (16 ounce) packages baby carrots
- 3 yellow onions, cut in chunks (1/8ths)
- 4 stalks celery, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 -8 peeled russet potatoes, cut in quarters lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon salt (can be reduced or omitted)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (can be reduced or omitted)
- 2 cups Catalina dressing
- 2 cups red wine (burgandy or merlot work well)
- 12 ounces beer
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Place meat and all vegetables in roasting pan with tight sealing lid.
- Mix together Catalina dressing, wine, and beer and pour over meat and vegetables.
- Salt and Pepper to taste (more salt or pepper may be added as roast is cooked).
- Place lid on tightly and cook at 375 degrees for 1-1 1/2 hours depending on amt.
- of meat.
- Roast is done when meat pulls apart easily.
- More water may be added if needed to maintain gravy consistency in pot.
- When done remove meat and vegetables to serving platter and dish and place roasting pan on stove over medium heat.
- Add water/ cornstarch slurry to make gravy out of pot liquor.
This recipe is in the Gluten-Free category, but beer is not gluten-free. If you make this recipe for someone that must be GF, omit the beer and carefully check the label of the Catalina dressing.