Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
If you prefer a milder flavour, using passata instead of pasta sauce. The wine makes the meat very tender.
- 800 g leg of lamb
- 225 g onions, peeled and cut into rings
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2 . 5 cm/1 inch pieces
- 350 g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 450 g new potatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 slices rindless streaky bacon
- 10 rosemary sprigs
- 325 g italian tomato sauce with herbs
- 150 ml red wine
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas5. Put lamb joint in centre of a alrge roasting dish. Surround with onions, celery, carrots and potatoes. Peel garlic and cut in half. Rub cut surfaces of garlic all over lamb.
- Stretch bacon rashers over lamb, securing with cocktail sticks. Using a skewer, make holes evenly over lamb and insert a rosemary sprig in each hole.
- Mix together pasta sauce and wine in a jub. Season and pour over vegetables around meat. Sprinkle herbs over vegetables.
- Cover with foil. Roast for 2 hours. Remove foil. Roast for 20 minutes until the gravy thickens. Remove cocktail sticks. Serve.