1/2 Photos of Pot Roast in Tipsy Gravy
3 hrs 25 mins
The addition of coffee and a tad whiskey makes an incredibly rich and beefy gravy for this pot roast. The roast is slow-cooked in the oven until fork tender. Serve with hot, buttered noodles or traditional mashed potatoes and a veggie/salad of your choice. (Note: I have also tweaked this when in the mood by adding a few cloves of garlic when sauteeing the onion and halved mushrooms to the dutch oven while baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (4 -5 1/2 lb) beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups freshly brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon instant flour (Wondra)
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1/3 cup whiskey (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2On a large plate or platter, stir together flour, salt, and pepper. Dip the beef roast into the seasoned flour, discarding any excess.
- 3Heat the oil in a large, heavy ovenproof skillet or dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Add the roast and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes a side. Remove the roast from the skillet and set aside.
- 4Add onions to the drippings in the skillet and saute over medium heat until they are softened. Return the roast to the skillet; add bay leaves, thyme, water and coffee. Bring to a simmer, stirring and turning to combine the seasonings with the roast.
- 5Cover and place the skillet in the oven. Bake for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until fork tender. Remove the roast from the skillet, discard any bones or gristle and set aside, loosely covered with aluminum foil.
- 6To prepare the gravy, place the skillet over medium heat, skim off any excess fat and add water, if necessary, to equal about 2-1/2 cups liquid. Sprinkle the instant flour over the gravy in the skillet and cook about 5 minutes, stirring until smooth and thickened. Stir in the butter and whiskey, if desired, and season with salt and pepper.
- 7Return the roast to the skillet to warm in the gravy, then serve with plenty of hot, buttered wide egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pot Roast in Tipsy Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (522 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1403.6
- Calories from Fat 975
- Total Fat 108.4 g
- Saturated Fat 41.3 g
- Cholesterol 328.2 mg
- Sodium 605.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 85.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: