Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Prep time includes browning the roast, this is started on top of the stove then finished cooking in the oven --- the exact amounts really do not matter for this recipe I just eyeball all ingredients, start with 1/3 cup brown sugar and add in more if needed while cooking, when I make this I find that for my taste I need more than 1/3 cup --- the cayenne was left as optional if you like some heat then add it in and adjust to taste or you may used crushed chili flakes, there is tons of sauce to this so there is no need to double the amounts --- cooking time is only estimated it will depend on the size of your roast, this will also work well using a pork roast.
- 88.74 ml oil (or as needed to coat the bottom of the pot)
- 1360.77-1814.36 g boneless beef chuck roast
- seasoning salt or white salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 236.59 ml beef broth or 236.59 ml water
- 59.14 ml lemon juice (no substitutes, can use bottled lemon juice)
- 118.29 ml ketchup
- 78.07-118.29 ml brown sugar (or to taste)
- 7.39 ml garlic powder
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper (add in for some heat and adjust to taste) (optional)
- 4.92 ml liquid smoke (optional)
- Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a bowl combine all the sauce ingredients together until smooth and well combined, start with 1/3 cup brown sugar if you prefer a sweeter taste you can always add in more during cooking.
- Heat oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat (use enough oil to cover the bottom of your Dutch oven).
- Season the roast liberally with seasoned salt and fresh ground black pepper; add to the pot and brown well on all sides, then remove to a plate or bowl.
- Add in onions and bell pepper; saute for about 3-4 minutes or until softened).
- Add in the sauce; bring to a medium simmer.
- Add the roast back to the pot and turn a few times to coat in the sauce.
- Cover with a lid then transfer to oven.
- Cook for about 3 to 3-1/2 hours turning the roast over every hour of cooking or you may turn halfway through cooking (cooking times will vary depending on the size of your roast).
- Remove the roast to a cutting board and slice thinly, transfer to a serving platter.
- Remove any fat the has accumulated on top of the sauce, then drizzle some on top of the beef slices.
- Serve remaining sauce on the side.
This is just delicious. The meat was tender and flavorful, and the sauce was sweet and tangy and wonderful. But as good as this is with beef, I think it would be even better with pork! We served it with egg noodles, but it would be good with mashed potatoes, too. Thanks, Kittencal! Made for KK's Chef's Pick tag.
This roast is wonderful! I was looking for something different to do with my roast. This was it! My family loved it! I was'nt going to be home all day so I seasoned and browned the roast. Put it in my slow cooker added the sauce and cooked it on low for 7 hours.I'll be making this again soon. Thanks Kittencal!
OH Lord is this fantastic the sauce is to die for and the roast was melt in your mouth tender, I don't think pot roast can ever get anybetter than this, I'm making again next week, try this you won't be sorry! another winner Kit thank you!