Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
- 1 (5 lb) boneless chuck roast
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 (2 1/4 ounce) cans sliced ripe olives
- 1⁄2 cup cognac
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Make 10 slits in roast, using a sharp knife.
- Insert a garlic slice into each slit.
- Rub roast with salt and pepper; dredge in flour.
- Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add 1 cup tomato sauce, red wine, and next 4 ingredients; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 1/2 hours or until roast is tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Transfer roast to a serving platter, reserving cooking liquid in pan.
- Add remaining tomato sauce, olives, and cognac; cook over medium heat 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with roast.