Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Comfort food at it's best. Great with a tossed salad, roasted potatoes, parsnips, french bread and a good red wine.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 (5 lb) boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups bouillon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In the bottom of a large dutch oven layer onions and place meat on top, pour over 1 cup of stock.
- Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours, adding more stock if needed.
- Mix the garlic, tomato sauce, brown sugar, paprika, mustard, rosemary and thyme, lemon juice, ketchup, vinegar and worcestershire sauce.
- Pour over the meat, recover and cook for about 1 1/2 hours more, basting every 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid the last 1/2 hour.
- Slice meat and arrange on a serving platter.
- Spoon on a little sauce and offer the rest at the table.