Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This can be done stove top or crock pot. Discovered crock pot cooking a year ago so, naturally, I went the easier route. Ingredients may sound strange together but, trust me, this is delicious. Prep time includes searing the meat and onions.
- 5 lbs boneless bottom round roast (or whatever size will fit your crock pot)
- 2 large onions (cut into circles)
- 2 -3 carrots (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup pickle juice
- 1⁄4 cup cranberry sauce or 1⁄4 cup cranberry juice
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to your taste
- garlic powder, to your taste
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (bit more if preferred)
- Sear roast on all sides.
- Add onions and cook till transparent and a bit browned.
- Put both in crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low till tender -OR- high for approx 6-8 hours (depending on size of roast).
- Optional: celery, potatoes.