Recipe by Aroostook
A staple for the meat and potatoes crowd. This takes awhile to cook but what an easy one pot meal! Roast may be cooked in the oven at 350 for the same amount of time if you wish.
- 5 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut in half
- 4 lbs potatoes, peeled & cut into 2 in. cubes
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled & cut into 2 in. cubes
- 2 lbs celery, peeled & cut into 2 in. cubes
- 3 lbs onions, peeled & cut into 2 in. cubes
- 2 quarts water or 2 quarts beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour (for dredging)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven or large heavy bottomed sauce pot, heat oil until hot.
- Season the flour with salt& pepper.
- Dredge meat on both sides in flour Shake off excess flour.
- Place meat in oil and sear for about 5 minutes.
- Turn meat over to sear the other side for about 5 minutes.
- Drain off excess grease but don't scrape the pot.
- you want the brownings for flavor.
- Place all remaining ingredients into the pot except potatoes.
- Simmer covered over low heat for 1 ½ hours.
- Add potatoes and simmer for another hour.
- Season to taste.