Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I searched for recipes to finish up a box of Malt-O-Meal. This was on the Malt-O-Meal site. It cooks in 6 hours, can leave up to 24-hours unattended. Traditionally for the Jewish sabbath but fall apart tender anytime. I use the crockpot.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs piece boneless beef chuck, fat trimmed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup 10 bean soup mix (dried beans and barley)
- 6 medium potatoes, halved
- 2 carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Malt-o-Meal original hot cereal, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 225.
- In large ovenproof soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add beef and onions and cook, turning meat once and stirring onions often, until browned, 10 minutes.
- Add bean mix, potatoes, carrots, garlic, honey, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Pour in enough water to cover.
- In small bowl or cup measure, whisk together cereal and 1 cup water till smooth.
- Gradually pour cereal mixture into pot, stirring so that it is well absorbed.
- NOTE: I brown meat and onions in frying pan, then put everything as directed in the crockpot and cook on low.
- Cover and bake undisturbed at least 6 hours and up to 24 hours.