Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
"This homey recipe soaks up the savings, boosts nutrition, and fills and warms hearty appetites. Often whole chickens can be purchased for under $1/lb . . . and I've seen them as low as $.39/lb. Buy an extra hen to freeze when you catch them at this price and you'll have a one-pot, frugal Sunday meal that will allow you less time in the kitchen and more time for loved ones."
- 3 lbs whole chickens (washed inside and out)
- 1 lb small red potato (or use scrubbed russets, cut in chunks)
- 15 ounces chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 medium onions, peeled, chunked
- 8 stalks celery, washed, coarsely chopped
- 8 medium carrots, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- In an oven-proof Dutch oven or roasting pan, heat the oil and sauté onions, celery, carrots, rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage, oregano, pepper and salt over medium heat for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving drippings in the pot.
- Rinse chicken in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place in pot and brown on all sides.
- Place chicken on its back in the pot.
- Dump in the sautéed vegetables and herbs.
- Add the washed potatoes and pour chicken broth over all.
- Cover the Dutch oven.
- Bake for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove tender chicken to a platter and cut into serving pieces.
- Place vegetables and herbs around the platter.
- Cover to keep warm.
- Whisk flour into the water until smooth.
- Stir into the drippings in the Dutch oven.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until boils and thickens into gravy. Strain, if desired, to remove lumps.
- Serve over chicken and vegetables.
This is excellent comfort food. Easy to make. Delicious gravy. Tender chicken and yummy veggies. I've made it once before, but will definitely make it again...