Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A wonderful comfort meal in a pot.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled, chunked
- 4 stalks celery, washed, coarsely chopped
- 6 medium carrots, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 1⁄2 lbs whole chickens, washed inside and out
- 1 lb small red potato
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup water
- In an oven-proof Dutch oven or roasting pan, heat the oil and sauté onions, celery, carrots, rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage, oregano, pepper and salt over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving drippings in the pot.
- Rinse chicken in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place in pot and brown on all sides.
- Place chicken on its back in the pot.
- Dump in the sautéed vegetables and herbs.
- Add the washed potatoes and pour chicken broth over all.
- Cover the Dutch oven.
- Bake at 400° for 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove tender chicken to a platter and cut into serving pieces.
- Place vegetables and herbs around the platter.
- Cover to keep warm.
- Whisk flour into the water until smooth.
- Stir into the drippings in the Dutch oven.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until gravy boils and thickens.
- Serve over chicken and vegetables.