Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Delicious variation of the basic pot roast with a Caribbean flair. The vegetable amounts are a guess, as I usually just fill up the crockpot with however many vegetables will fit.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (3 lb) boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 large potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 -2 large sweet potato, cut into large chunks
- 3 carrots, cut into segments
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the roast into the hot oil and cook, turning frequently, until browned on all sides. Remove from the skillet and place in a slow cooker.
- Cook garlic and onions in the skillet in the meat drippings until tender. Stir in the salt and tomato sauce.
- Combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, chili powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and orange zest; stir into the tomato sauce. Pour the tomato sauce over the roast in the slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and celery. Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or until meat is tender. Garnish with sliced almonds before serving.
The spices blended together so nicely! Awesome flavor and even my 5 mo old ate it! But it was still missing something I cant put my finger on.
This was Wonderful! We substituted Pork loin roast instead of beef. It was excellent!