Recipe by diner524
This is such an easy recipe, but such comfort food. This is my mom's way to make this dish. A complete meal in one pan, except that I add corn as a side dish. The gravy makes this meal complete.
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
A first for me making a roast like this, I usually use the crock pot. I used baby red potatoes and carrots. We have a wonderful leftover gravy and roast to make another dinner tonight. Made for PRMR.
- 2 -3 lbs chuck roast or 2 -3 lbs blade roast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- garlic salt
- 2 cups water or 2 cups beef broth
- 2 onions, cut into 8 chunks
- 8 ounces carrots (I use the baby carrots)
- 1 -2 lb potato, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add oil to a dutch oven or large covered dish that can go from stovetop to oven and heat to medium high heat. Season roast with salt, pepper and garlic salt. Brown roast on both sides in oil. Then add water or beef broth, onions and carrots. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat and put cover on and place in oven.
- Let roast cook for 2 1/2 hours. Check at this point and make sure there still is enough liquid, if not add more water. This type of meat needs to cook for a long time but needs the liquid to make it tender. Now add the the potatoes. Cook for another hour(remove cover last 20 mins.) or until potatoes are tender and cooked through. Remove meat and vegetable to a serving plate/bowl and keep warm.
- Add water or beef broth to pan and stir to get all the browned pieces. Mix flour with one cup water, add salt and pepper to taste, and shake until very well blended. Add this mixture to pan until thickened and to your taste.