Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
I like the hint of chocolate and sweet spices in this roast. It deepens the roasted, beefy flavor. A Woman's Day Silver Spoon Award winner.
- 3 lbs boneless bottom round roast or 3 lbs other pot roast
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- Sprinkle meat with mixture of flour and 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- In heavy pot pan, brown meat in hot oil.
- Remove from pan.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and stir until lightly browned.
- Add back roast to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients to pot except chocolate.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and, turning meat occasionally, simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours until tender.
- Remove meat and keep warm.
- Discard cloves and bay leaf; skim off fat if necessary.
- If necessary, add water to pan liquid to make at least 2 cups.
- Add chocolate; stir over med.
- -highheat until chocolate melts and gravy has thickened.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve sauce over thinly sliced meat.
Excellent. I chanced upon this recipe and after reading Sweetpea's review decided to try this recipe with the combination of seasonings along with the chocolate and sweet spices - and yes five stars all the way just as one would expect from a Woman's Day Silver Spoon Award! Thank you nvermd.
The meat lover at our house says five stars and I know he doesn't have a clue what went into this roast. He just knows he likes it. A nice change from tomato based sauces.