Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The secret ingredient in this roast beef dish is the ketchup...don't leave it out. My husband has been heard to say, you put what in the roast beef?
- 3 lbs roast beef, chuck
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup red wine, dry
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, small, fresh
- Rub roast all over with flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in deep, heavy, non stick pan.
- Add beef to hot pan and brown at medium setting on stove, turning often, for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat to lowest setting on stove and add herbs, mustard, ketchup, red wine, water and bay leaf to pan.
- Cover and cook roast for 1 1/2 hours.
- Before adding mushrooms, add water if liquid has boiled to dry.
- Add mushrooms, cover and simmer for 1/2 hour or until meat is tender.
- Serve with mushrooms and gravy.
- Remember when serving chuck roast to cut across the grain into thin slices.
- So that you'll get the most tender slice.
Excellent. I've made this several times and it's a favorite at our house!
Excellent pot roast. I made as listed up to the browning stage then I transfered the meat to a roasting pan with a lid. I mixed the other ingredients together and added them to the frying pan, brought to the boil then poured over the meat in roasting pan. Covered and cooked at 150'C for about 4hrs. I added the mushrooms and continued cooking for another 30-45 mins. Removed the meat and wrapped in tinfoil to rest. I poured the gravy into a pot and because we like our gravy a little thicker I added an instant pkt of roast meat gravy mix, simmered for a few mins and served in a gravy boat. We had friends for dinner and they thought it wonderful. I served with roast potatoes, roast pumpkin, steamed carrot slices & baby peas. A real 'home cooked' meal. The guests went home with the recipe LOL :) A keeper for sure.
Excellent! I love this roast; it turned out so tender and flavorful. It was wonderful with some mashed potatoes and a salad. Thanks for sharing!