- 3 lbs roast beef, chuck
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup red wine, dry
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, small, fresh
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub roast all over with flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in deep, heavy, non stick pan.
- Add beef to hot pan and brown at medium setting on stove, turning often, for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat to lowest setting on stove and add herbs, mustard, ketchup, red wine, water and bay leaf to pan.
- Cover and cook roast for 1 1/2 hours.
- Before adding mushrooms, add water if liquid has boiled to dry.
- Add mushrooms, cover and simmer for 1/2 hour or until meat is tender.
- Serve with mushrooms and gravy.
- Remember when serving chuck roast to cut across the grain into thin slices.
- So that you'll get the most tender slice.