Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Just like Mom's. This roast is warm and comforting on a cold day. I usually make beef pot pie with the leftovers.
- 3 -4 lbs beef roast (I use whatever's on sale)
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cut in large pieces
- 6 -8 carrots, peeled and cut in large pieces
- 2 onions, quartered
- 3 -4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- Set pot roast in roasting pan, sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups water, beef bouillon, and bay leaf; cover and cook in 250 degree oven for 5 to 6 hours.
- About an hour before supper, add vegetables and turn up oven to 325 degrees and continue baking until vegetables are fork tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables from roaster and pour pan juices into saucepan to make gravy.
- While stirring constantly over medium heat, add enough cornstarch, dissolved in cold water, to pan juices to make desired consistency.
- Season with salt, pepper, and Kitchen Bouquet.
I think this gravy is excellant. I sometimes have problems with gravy but this was easy.