Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen, 2008 Show: Paula's Best Dishes -> Episode: Memory Buffet
Make and share this Pot Roast recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) boneless chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon house seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion, wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
- HOUSE SEASONING:.
- Mix ingredients and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the House Seasoning, salt and pepper to a small bowl. Rub seasoning into the roast on both sides. Heat oil in a large skillet and brown the roast, searing on both sides. Place the meat in a roaster pan. Add onions and garlic to skillet for 1 to 2 minutes to absorb leftover roast juice. Place into roaster pan with meat and bay leaves.
- Combine the mushroom soup, wine, Worcestershire sauce and beef bouillon into a bowl. Pour over the roast. Add water.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- *Cook's Note: If the gravy is not thick enough, remove the meat from the pan and pour the gravy into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and thicken it by adding 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water, stirring constantly.