Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mom gave me the recipe for this pot roast, which I loved growing up. Tonight I made it for my husband, and he says it's his favorite thing that I've ever made for him.
- Add oil to skillet and heat. Add chopped onion to skillet and cook until it is translucent. Add garlic and cook it until it is yellow.
- Add the meat to the skillet and brown on all sides.
- Add chicken broth to pan.
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- When the meat is done, it should be tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove the meat from the pan and place it on a plate.
- Remove the broth from the pan and remove the liquid fat, placing it back in the pan.
- Gradually add the 1/4 cup flour to the pan, pressing out any lumps.
- When the fat and the flour are thoroughly combined, add the remaining liquid. If the liquid does not make up two cups, add a little water to make up the remaining volume.
- Stir the gravy over medium heat, being careful not to allow it to stick or form lumps.
- The gravy should thicken. When it has thickened as much as possible, add 1 tsp Gravymaster browning sauce.
- If you think it needs a little more flavour, remove a small amount of gravy from the pan, stir a small amount of Better than Boullion Beef Base into it and then add the mixture back into the pan.
- Return the meat to the gravy and reheat it in the gravy.