Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My basic pot roast recipe, prepared in a large electric skillet.
Make and share this Pot Roast recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Heat oil in skillet and brown roast on all sides.
- Add all ingredients, except the carrots and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil in the skillet, cover and simmer on low (200 degrees) for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Check after 1 hour and add more liquid if needed.
- Add carrots and potatoes, continue simmering for 30 minutes more.
- Remove meat and vegetables. Discard garlic cloves and bay leaves.
- Thicken liquid with cornstarch and cold water to make gravy.
This was good! I added celery and put 4 holes to stuff garlic in the roast.
The roast was perfect and very tasty! We had a lot of left-overs (on purpose) and the next night we made a very hearty stew with the left over meat and veggies! I will definitely make this again!
Ahh, comfort food at it's very best! I love that this recipe is very basic and simple, and the flavors are so wonderful. My only change was actually an addition-I added a 6oz pkg of whole button mushrooms. Eating a plate of this is like cuddling up on the couch in a cozy blanket on a cold fall/winter day. Just awesome! Thanks for sharing Half Hearted Chef, made for Bargain Basement tag game and will definately make this again.