Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
my pot roast
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 14 ounces whole canned tomatoes
- 24 ounces chicken broth
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- kosher salt
- ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat dutch oven on medium high heat. Add olive oil. Salt and pepper roast. Brown roast on all sides. About 12 minutes (2 minutes per side -- don't forget the ends).
- Slice onion into half rounds and brown in dutch oven. Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to boil.
- Replace pot roast and juices. Nestle roast into the center and bottom of pan. Add potatoes around edges of roast. Bring to simmer.
- Cut parchment paper round to fit dutch oven and cover roast. Cover with lid and put in oven. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Cook until fork tender. Approximately 4 hours.