Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
We really wanted pot pie one night, but didn't have any dough. I did have egg roll wrappers, so I decided to give that a whirl. It turned out great!I will make my pot pie like this from now on. One cupcake is a good size serving for those of us trying to eat reasonably sized portions. You can use your favorite pot pie filling, or try the one I like!
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 12 egg roll wraps (you can either find these in the prepared salad section at the grocery or at any oriental market)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Saute onion, celery, carrots in margarine for 10 minutes.
- Add flour to sauteed mixture, stirring well, cook one minute stirring constantly.
- Combine broth and milk and gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
- Add canned/frozen veggies to mixture.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in salt, pepper and chicken.
- Once filling of your choice is prepared, grease a cupcake pan and push wrappers down, fill with mixture and swipe all edges with egg. Close them up the best you can!
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
Filling ok but punched up broth with bullion. Also added herbs de Provence and garlic powder and a little grated cheese. Did NOT like the wonton/spring roll wraps though. Ick. Glad I only made 2 as trials. Even my son gave thumbs down for wraps. Zero flavor to them and it's like eating crunchy paper. Back to pie crust. I was so excited too.
I love this recipe because it has the potential to revive chicken pot pie as a menu option for my family. Here is an excellent and easier filling alternative: I make an excellent and simple chicken pot pie filling with a can of cream of potato soup, and half a bag of frozen corn/peas/carrots mix, and some diced leftover chicken. My family, however does not care for pie crust - this may give Chicken Pot Pie a new lease on life for me!
These are excellent and so easy to make. I loved the crunch of the egg roll wraps when cooked. They were just a bit soggy on the bottom but would not change a thing about using them. I did use a whole stick of butter but that was the only ingredient I changed. Loved the addition of the corn which I had never used in a Pot Pie before. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm making these next week for our small group Bible study to see what the ladies thing about them. Made for Spring 2012 PAC