Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This a very easy and very good pot pie. It can be made with chicken,beef,shrimp or ham. A lot of homemade pot pie come out very dry by not putting in enough broth. Give this a try and it will be your # 1 pot pie.
- 1 lb chicken, skinless, boned and cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup green peas
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425:.
- In a sauce pan combine chicken,carrots,peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
- In the sauce pan over medium heat,cook onion in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour,salt,pepper,and celery seed. Slowly stir in the chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick stirring all the time.Remove from heat when thick and set aside.
- Place the chicken mixture in the bottom pie crust. Pour in the hot liquid mixture.
- Cover with top crust,seal edges,and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow the steam to vent. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Please Note: To speed up you can use frozen vegetable medley instead of boiling the carrots,peas and celery.