Recipe by Elmotoo
I took a bag of lima beans & a recipe from Mark Bittman's 'How to Cook Everything Vegetarian', used 3 different suggested variations then did my own tweaking to arrive at this. I went with a Middle Eastern twist. It is very lemony, thyme-y, creamy from the beans & olive oil, a bit of zip from the pepper; just delicious. And very easy. This made enough for 4 people's dinner w/out leftovers. Who knew lima beans could be SO good?? The 90 minute prep time is for cooking the beans and is approximate.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
I was going to rate this a high 4 stars but chose 5 stars because lima beans need all the help they can get. I used frozen organic lima beans. First I sauteed onion until crispy, about 15 minutes. Added garlic, the seasonings, preserved lemon (but not the lemon and zest) about 1/2 cup of vegetable broth. Covered and simmered for 10 minutes to allow the seasonings to work their magic. Finally, stirred in the frozen lima beans and cooked on medium low just until hot. If you cook the limas too long, they'll shrivel. In another pan I lightly sauteed baby spinach leaves, plated then added a spoonful of steamed short grain brown rice then topped with the lima bean mixture to make a simple rice bowl. Yum! Made for NA*ME tag/October and Veg Tag/October.
- 1 lb lima beans, large, dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 -4 tablespoons za'atar spice mix, such as Za'atar
- 1 lemon, zest & juice
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- 2 -4 tablespoons chopped preserved lemons, such as Preserved Lemons
- 2 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, please choose a nice, fruity one
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort dried beans. Add to boiling, salted water & simmer until ALMOST soft. Drain.
- In soup pot, heat olive oil. Add chopped onion & saute until softened. Add vegetable stock, drained beans, za'atar, lemon zest & juice, chili pepper, & preserved lemon. Simmer 30 minutes to let flavors mingle & beans to finish cooking.
- Check for seasoning. Add olive oil for richness & body. Add additional salt & pepper to taste.