Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This golden, healthy, thick, rich and creamy low fat soup is made with no butter or oil, milk or cheese added. I made this using left over chicken breast, white rice and Low Fat Roasted Golden Cauliflower (golden in color) also the potatoes add the golden color along with the turmeric.
- 1 head cauliflower, golden roasted
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, washed and cubed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in 1/2
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (optional)
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 2 scallions, sliced
- In a large pot heat 6 cups water and the first 7 ingredients. Simmer till tender about 20 minutes.
- Blend in blender or hand immersion blender.
- Add chicken and rice to heat.
- Season to taste with salt a pepper. Garnish with scallions.
- For vegan omit the chicken.
My whole family loved this soup! I didn't have any curry so I faked it using fennel, cinnamon, garlic, and turmeric but it still turned out delicious. To add more flavor, we actually used leftover chicken quarters that we had grilled. It added a nice smokey flavor. Even the picky 3 year old asked for seconds!
I just thought this ended up very bland. I made it omitting the chicken, and using the specified roasted cauliflower recipe, I sauteed half the onion and added it closer to the end but that was the only change. In the end I threw in 2 cups of peas, a heap of salt and pepper, a little poultry seasoning, and onion powder. It was all right, but not a make again for us.
I loved this soup, although I always make changes...I added a little frozen spinache...skipped the rice and believe it or not I added grated mango...just a bit! I loved it!