Recipe by VegBear
I got this from a great vegetarian cookbook, Cookin' Southern Vegetarian Style by Ann Jackson. For those of you who don't know, pot-likker is the leftover water after greens have been cooked, it is delicious and nutritious and a true southern treat.
- 1 cup dried cranberry beans
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 5 red potatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch kale or 1 bunch collard greens
- 4 -5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons soy margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the beans and one of the onions in a soup pot and cover with vegetable stock. Simmer for 2 hours.
- In a separate pot heat the oil, then add the other onion and the potato. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until potatoes are about half-way cooked, then salt generously.
- Top the potatoes with the kale or collard greens, turn down the heat and cook covered for about 15 minutes.
- Carefully add this to the beans and simmer until the potatoes are fully cooked, about 15 more minutes. Stir in the margarine and serve.