Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Postum was a grain-based beverage made by Kraft. It has now been discontinued. This is supposed to be a good substitute. Use more or less per cup depending on how strong you like it. If you can't find pre-ground bulgur wheat, you can grind it yourself in a coffee mill. This recipe is from Cooks.com and I have not tried it.
- 5 cups wheat bran, moderately ground (Hodgson Mill brand recommended)
- 4 cups bulgur wheat, moderately ground (Bob's Red Mill brand recommended)
- 2 cups cornmeal, coarsely ground (Bob's Red Mill brand recommended)
- 1 cup unsulphured molasses (Grandma's brand recommended)
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- Combine all ingredients and rub them between the palms of your hands until they are evenly mixed.
- Spread mixture into shallow baking pans.
- Roast until well-browned, about 5 hours, stirring every 15 minutes to ensure even browning.
- Cool and store in a sealed jar or canister.
- To use, add 2 tablespoons mix to 1 1/2 cups water.
- Boil or brew in a coffee maker.