1/1 Photo of Postre de Cocada
1 hr 20 mins
This was posted within a discussion by B&B from Authentic Mexican, Rick Bayless, Morrow 1987. Since I would like to try it, I am posting it to the database.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Hull and peel the coconut, reserving and straining the liquid.
- 2Grate the meat (it should be medium-fine).
- 3Measure the coconut liquid and add enough tap water to bring the total quantity to 1 cup.
- 4Place the grated coconut in a medium-size, heavy saucepan, stir in the liquid and sugar and set over medium heat.
- 5Cook, stirring frequently, until the coconut becomes transparent (it will look almost candied) and the liquid has reduced to a glaze, 20 to 30 minutes longer, to evaporate its liquid, then remove from the fire.
- 6Beat the yolks with the milk or cream, stir in several tablespoons of the hot coconut, then carefully stir the warm yolk mixture into the coconut remaining in the pan.
- 7Return to medium-low heat and stir constantly until lightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 8Scrape the cocada into an ovenproof serving dish.
- 9Spread the almonds onto baking sheet and toast in a 325 oven until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- 10Shortly before serving, heat the broiler.
- 11Dot the cocada with butter, run under the heat and let brown for a minute or so.
- 12Watch carefully: The sugar in the cocada will caramelized very quickly.
- 13Strew with the toasted almond slices and the dessert is ready to serve.
- 14Rick's Notes: After the egg-yolk mixture goes into the hot coconut, make sure the heat under your pan isn't too high, or the yolks can curdle.
- 15In no case should the coconut mixture come near a boil.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Postre de Cocada
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.7
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.7 g
- Saturated Fat 23.5 g
- Cholesterol 218.4 mg
- Sodium 25.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 37.9 g
- Protein 6.8 g