Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
got leftovers? this is adapted from marion cunningham, and would make fannie farmer proud!
- 1 turkey carcass
- 11 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups leftover prepared stuffing
- 2 cups leftover gravy
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- leftover turkey, shredded
- add all ingredients, except turkey, with 10 c water to a large pot.
- bring to a boil, lower to simmer, stir well to break up stuffing.
- cook 1 1/2 hrs.
- add remaining 1 1/2 c water and turkey and simmer 10 minutes more.
- remove carcass.
- adjust seasonings, serve.
I didn't have any stuffing- but used everything else listed. I also included 2 bay leafs, 10 peppercorns, and some kosher salt. Turned out really well. I think the gravy gave it alot of additional flavour. Thanks Chia.
This soup is made after every turkey we've ever had. I grew up on this wonderful soup my mom has been making forever. The only difference is that she uses rice instead of our stuffing, because there's never any left.
My family LOVED this soup! I used a carcass from a 7 lb. roaster chicken and it was wonderful. Unfortunately, I found out too late that someone had eaten my leftover stuffing, so I had to skip that and I used noodles instead. Next time, hopefully I'll be able to try the stuffing, but it was still great this way. Thanks for posting. With your recipes, I'm getting pretty good at this soup making stuff ;)