4 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Missy Wombat's Note:
Possums are an introduced species that are decimating NZ's forests and the beautiful unique birdlife. There is no such thing as a good possum in this beautiful land. Times are guesses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 possum
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- clarified butter
- olive oil (enough to brown meat without becoming dry)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- flat or field mushroom, sliced (big meaty ones)
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (a mix of rosemary, thyme, marjoram, dill and parsley)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 cup dark beer, eg black mac,monteiths
- 1 cup brown possum stock
- 1 tablespoon marsala
- 1Skin and bone the possum (use only the best meat for the casserole, ie: the strip loins and hind quarters, cubed).
- 2Reserve the carcass and trimmings for stock.
- 3In a heavy pan, heat the clarified butter and oil.
- 4Sauté onion and garlic.
- 5When onion is clear, remove to casserole.
- 6Dust the cubed possum with flour and brown in batches.
- 7Add to casserole.
- 8Melt a little more clarified butter and sauté bacon and mushrooms.
- 9Remove to casserole De-glaze pan as necessary with red wine- add this to casserole together with herbs, ground pepper, tomato purée, beer and marsala.
- 10Stir, cover and cook in slow oven for 2-3 hours, adding more possum stock if necessary.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Possum Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.2
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: