Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
UH...OK... Now this is old southern cooking. I typed this one exactly how it was written. HUM!! How many people Will a possum serve anyway? Poor Poor Possum, or is it Opossum?
- 1 possum, cut up
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 -6 sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut up in chunks
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oleo, that means margarine I looked it up
- 1 gallon water, as needed
- Heat oven to 375.
- Skin and shuck all innards and wash yer possum.
- Put possum in a big sauce pot and cover with water.
- Add yer salt and yer pepper.
- Cover pot and cook until possum is tender.
- Place possum in center of large baking pan and place yer sweet taters around it.
- Sprinkle with yer white and brown sugars and oleo over taters.
- Pour 2 cups of yer juice from cooked possum over everything.
- Place in a hot oven and bake until taters are fork tender light brown, and juices from possum has cooked away.
This is the only way to cook possum! Really, it works for any road kill. Although you want to omit the brown sugar from it if you use it on anything else. I've found it's better if you boil your taters with it in the beginning, then bake it till it's brown.