Recipe by nancyal
I found this in Veggie Life magazine. It is delicious, and I thought I would share it for those looking for meatless meals for Lent's Fridays.
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 ounces reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 5 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 2-quart baking dish.
- (A 12-inch quiche dish,a 7x11, or a 9-inch square baking dish will work).
- Wring excess liquid from thawed spinach and crumble it into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle onion over top.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse to shred cheese cubes.
- Layer cheese over onions in the dish.
- In the same processor, combine evaporated milk, egg whites, water, flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and process until smooth.
- Pour slowly over mixture in dish.
- Using a knife, poke through mixture in several places, allowing liquid to seep through spinach evenly.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake 40-45 minutes, or until top is puffed and brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes before cutting into wedges.