Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens "Simply Perfect Hot & Spicy 1998."
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean boneless pork, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white hominy, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers (You can use Jalapenos if you want more heat)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup parsley sprig, firmly packed,stems removed
- 1⁄3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown the pork cubes, onion and garlic in 2 tablespoon oil.
- Stir in chicken broth, oregano and cumin; bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in hominy and chile peppers.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes more.
- Skim off fat.
- Ladle into bowls and top with 1 tablespoon of jalepeno pesto or to taste.
- Jalapeno Pesto:.
- Place all ingredients except olive oil into the bowl of a food processor fitted with metal chopping blade.
- Process until finely chopped.
- With processor running, pour olive oil through tube and continue processing until olive oil is blended in, scraping down sides of bowl if needed.
- Refrigerate until use.
- Makes about 2/3 cups.