Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 15 mins
Posole or Pozole (both spellings are correct). This is a traditional Southwestern savory stew made with a specific variety of corn , pork chicken and/or beef and green chile. It’s a hearty, authentic meal, perfect for anytime. This recipe is derived from #8545, but I made so many changes I decided it was worthy of a new recipe especially since it turned out so wonderful and it's a healthier version.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole rotisserie roasted deli chicken, de-boned and cut up
- 1 lb country-style boneless pork ribs
- 1 (32 ounce) container low sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces water
- 3 medium white onions (chopped)
- 8 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 (14 ounce) containersfrozen green chilies (roasted, peeled & chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 2 1⁄2 ounces Menudo Spice Mix
- 1 bunch cilantro (chopped, including stems)
- 1 (32 ounce) can hominy (drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy (drained)
- black pepper
- Cube the pork (you can use pork roast as well) and brown it in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a 5 quart sauce pan or pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and saute until tender.
- Add chicken.
- Add water and broth, stir well.
- Place 1 tub of green chiles in blender and puree. Them add to pan.
- Add second tub to pan.
- Add garlic salt, cumin, Mexican oregano and menudo spice mix. I used all but about 1 tablespoon of the menudo mix. I suggest adding small amounts until it is strong enough. Stir well.
- Add cilantro.
- Lower heat and simmer 3 hours.
- Add hominy and simmer until warm throughout. About 15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- I have found the frozen green chiles and menudo mix at Kroger Signature & Wal-Mart grocery stores.
- Actually I used a whole Beer Can Chicken off my smoker that most of the fat had been cooked off. I tossed the skin. That is why I suggested using rotiserie chicken.