This is a hearty main course soup. It's easy to stretch with more broth and/or veggies. It's so simple, quick and flavorful. Even my three-year-old grandson likes it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, chunks
- 3 cups water, boiling
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white hominy or 2 (15 ounce) cans yellow hominy
- 4 diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- vegetarian chicken broth (I use Frontier brand powdered broth)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (I use Frontier brand Fiesta Blend)
- 3 -5 stalks fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 cups water (additional)
- lime juice
- 1Add several tablespoons of powdered broth (to your taste) to boiling water.
- 2Stir until dissolved.
- 3Add Textured vegetable protein chunks.
- 4Cover and remove from heat.
- 5Let the chunks absorb the liquid while you prepare the rest of the soup.
- 6In a large soup pot, saute onion until soft.
- 7Add garlic and continue sauteing until fragrance is released.
- 8Add chili powder to sauteed vegetables and mix well.
- 9Add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- 10Stir in chilies, hominy and tomatoes.
- 11Add Textured vegetable protein chunks and additional broth powder to taste.
- 12Simmer for 10-20 minutes to blend flavors.
- 13Add fresh cilantro to bowl (Some folks don't care for the taste).
- 14Add a squirt of lime juice to taste.
- 15Serve with corn chips or tortilla chips.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Posole (Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.2
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 542.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
textured vegetable protein