Recipe by SherryKaraoke
This is a hearty main course soup. It's easy to stretch with more broth and/or veggies. It's so simple, quick and flavorful. Even my three-year-old grandson likes it!
Top Review by caroliek
This posole got rave reviews from my book group, and they are a bunch of great cooks! I left out the TVP and put in Soyrizo (soy chorizo) instead, which spiced it up a bit. Also used all veggie broth instead of water/broth powder. Everyone wanted the recipe.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, chunks
- 3 cups water, boiling
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white hominy or 2 (15 ounce) cans yellow hominy
- 4 diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- vegetarian chicken broth (I use Frontier brand powdered broth)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (I use Frontier brand Fiesta Blend)
- 3 -5 stalks fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 cups water (additional)
- lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Add several tablespoons of powdered broth (to your taste) to boiling water.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Add Textured vegetable protein chunks.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Let the chunks absorb the liquid while you prepare the rest of the soup.
- In a large soup pot, saute onion until soft.
- Add garlic and continue sauteing until fragrance is released.
- Add chili powder to sauteed vegetables and mix well.
- Add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in chilies, hominy and tomatoes.
- Add Textured vegetable protein chunks and additional broth powder to taste.
- Simmer for 10-20 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add fresh cilantro to bowl (Some folks don't care for the taste).
- Add a squirt of lime juice to taste.
- Serve with corn chips or tortilla chips.