katie in the UP's Note:
I'm posting this recipe for safe keeping...I make the regular Posole ...but I've never made the Rojo :) Planning on this recipe for Super Bowl!! Recipe was found in this months Food Network Magazine (my favorite!!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup dried chile, de arbol
- 5 dried ancho chiles
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 (15 ounce) cans white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1Clean chilies (taking off stems and deseeding).
- 2Put chilies in bowl with boiling water; weigh down to keep chilies under water.
- 3Soak approx 30 minute Transfer chilies and 1 1/2 cups of soaking liquid to blender.
- 4Add garlic and 1/2 tsp salt a blend until smooth.
- 5Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl, pushing the sauce through with a rubber spatula discard the solids.
- 6Rub the pork all over with the cumin and 1/2 tsp salt ; set aside.
- 7Heat veggie oil in a dutch oven add onion and cook stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minute.
- 8Add pork and sear, turning until slightly browned on all sides, about 5 minute.
- 9Stir in 2 cups of water, the chicken borth, oregano, bay leaf and 1/2 tsp salt and approx 3/4 cup of chili sauce (you can add less -- depending on your spice taste).
- 10Partially cover and cook approx 3 hours.
- 11Stir in hominy and continue to simmer uncovered until the pork starts falling apart, about 1 more hour.
- 12Remove bay leaf.
- 13Transfer pork to a cutting board; roughly chop and return to the pot. Add some broth (or water) if the posole is too thick. Season with salt.
- 14Serve with toppings and remaining chlle sauce.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Posole Rojo
Serving Size: 1 (599 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.2
- Calories from Fat 271
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 80.5 mg
- Sodium 1166.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 28.2 g