Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was taught to me by my friend Mary, who was raised in Mexico, when she learned that I didn't like Menudo. She adds a whole jalepeno to the recipe, but that's to hot for me. The prep and cook time doesn't include cook time for the pork.
- 3 cups cooked pork, cut into bite sized cubes (pork shoulder is traditional ; or other pork roast)
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (4 ounce) cansdiced green chili peppers (or 2 fresh green chili’s seeded and diced)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked pinto beans (or 1- 15 oz. can pinto beans) (optional)
- 1 quart pork stock or 1 quart chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro (garnish)
- lime wedge (garnish)
- In a large pan.
- Saute onions in lard or bacon drippings until clear.
- Add garlic and spices and cook another two minutes.
- Add meat, green chili, rinsed hominy and beans.
- The beans are not traditional but we like them.
- Cook another two minutes.
- Pour stock over all.
- Add salt to taste.
- Simmer, covered, about 1hour.
- Pass cilantro and lime wedges for those who like a pinch of cilantro and a squeeze of lime over their soup.
- I serve this with large corn chips and cold melon.
This is a winner! Made this tonight for dinner, but instead of pork chunks I shredded a pound of carnitas from a local mexican grocery and minced a couple fresh jalapenos. Garnished it with chopped tomatoes, diced avocado, and some sour cream (mexican crema would be great, too) Just delish-my husband inhaled it.
Made this for cinco de mayo. It is wonderful! I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of pork. Great flavor and very simple. Next time won't add the beans.
I used about 2 cups of cubed pork, one can of hominy and one can of pintos, and one diced jalapeno that I sauteed with the onion.. I only used about a cup or so of broth, I didn't want it to be soup. With the reduced amount of broth I didn't cook for the hour called for, probably more like 25 minutes. I used all the herbs and spices called for. This was really delicious and I would definitely make it again.