1/1 Photo of Posole (Mexican soup with pork and hominy)
1 hr 20 mins
This recipe was taught to me by my friend Mary, who was raised in Mexico, when she learned that I didn't like Menudo. She adds a whole jalepeno to the recipe, but that's to hot for me. The prep and cook time doesn't include cook time for the pork.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups cooked pork, cut into bite sized cubes (pork shoulder is traditional ; or other pork roast)
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chili peppers (or 2 fresh green chili’s seeded and diced)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans (or 1- 15 oz. can pinto beans) (optional)
- 1 quart pork stock or 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (garnish)
- lime wedge (garnish)
- 1In a large pan.
- 2Saute onions in lard or bacon drippings until clear.
- 3Add garlic and spices and cook another two minutes.
- 4Add meat, green chili, rinsed hominy and beans.
- 5The beans are not traditional but we like them.
- 6Cook another two minutes.
- 7Pour stock over all.
- 8Add salt to taste.
- 9Simmer, covered, about 1hour.
- 10Pass cilantro and lime wedges for those who like a pinch of cilantro and a squeeze of lime over their soup.
- 11I serve this with large corn chips and cold melon.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Posole (Mexican soup with pork and hominy)
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.1
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 6.0 mg
- Sodium 454.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: