Recipe by Starman5
I think posole is like chili and gumbo, instead of eating it hot off the stove, the taste improves if you let the pot cool on the stove for about two hours, then put it in the refrigerator overnight, which allows the flavors time to blend and set. The Posole (chili, gumbo) can then be transferred into smaller containers or plastic bags for storage and reheated as needed. This recipe freezes well with little loss of flavor or texture. I usually make a double recipe, and after cooling overnight in the refrigerator, transfer the posole into glass Mason jars and store in the freezer and unthaw as needed.
Top Review by leabate
Terrific, easy-to-follow recipe. I couldn't find the specific types of chili powder so just used 1 T. of regular chili powder and it was delicious and plenty spicy. I made the entire recipe and served 10 nice sized servings.
- 2 lbs pork
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans hominy, drained (yellow or white)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon new mexico chile powder (mild, medium, or hot)
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped or 4 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1⁄4 lime, per serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat from pork, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, brown in oil over medium hot heat. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In remaining oil, saute onion until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, cooking for just a minute more.
- Put the cooked meat, onions and garlic in a stew pot. Add the tomatoes and chilies, 1 1/2 cans chicken broth, and seasonings.
- Stir, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Puree one can of drained hominy in a blender with the remaining ½ can chicken broth. The pureed hominy adds thickness to the stew.
- Add the pureed hominy, whole hominy, and cilantro and simmer an additional 15 minutes.