3 hrs 30 mins
Leslie Fay's Note:
Absolute perfect main course for a cold Sunday. This is the best Posole I've ever had. Needs nothing in my opinion. Don't skimp on the chiles and make sure there is enough "broth" in the finished thing. My favorite way to eat it is with a warm tortilla and fresh lettuce, tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 heads garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 hatch New Mexico green chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped (also available frozen in the grocers freezer)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt (or to taste)
- 5 -6 lbs pork shoulder (cut in 2 inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 4 quarts posole (cooked, takes hours) or 4 quarts canned white hominy (drained)
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 3Slice off tops of garlic heads, about 1/4.
- 4Place garlic, cut side up, on a piece of foil big enough to just wrap the garlic completely.
- 5Drizzle garlic heads with extra virgin olive oil.
- 6Sprinkle garlic with a pinch of kosher salt and a couple grinds of pepper.
- 7Wrap garlic in foil and place on middle oven rack for about 45 minutes.
- 8Remove and let cool.
- 9Heat 1/3 Cup olive oil in a large heavy skillet over mod. high heat.
- 10Add chiles to oil until just soft, don't crowd the pan.
- 11Remove chiles and set aside.
- 12Salt and pepper pork well.
- 13Add pork to pan one at a time, don't crowd the pan. Sear meat on all sides, remove to drain and work in batches.
- 14In a heavy 4-5 qrt. pot over med. high heat, add pork and chilies.
- 15Add 1/2 Cup water to pan.
- 16Press garlic heads to squeeze out garlic and add to pan.
- 17Add posole, salt and pepper. Stir.
- 18Add 4 qrts of water to pan, cover and bring to a boil.
- 19As soon as everything comes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, uncover and simmer for 3 hours. Pork should be very tender.
- 20About 30 minutes before posole is done, prepare garnishes and set out for serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Posole
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.4
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 98.8 mg
- Sodium 950.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 25.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pico de gallo