Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is such an easy recipe to make and everyone loves it. I found the recipe originally in the 'Pon Top Edisto cookbook. I have never tried this recipe with bell peppers added. That is up to the individual. I have received more compliments when I use half cheddar and half parmesan cheese together. You can't go wrong either way.
- 2 lbs yellow squash
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper (I prefer not to add this ingredient)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellmans)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- buttered cracker crumb (I use Ritz Crackers)
- Slice squash, chop onion and bell pepper.
- Steam together in sauce pan until tender.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl and add cooked squash, onion, bell pepper, mayonnaise, and cheese.
- Pour into a greased casserole dish and top with buttered cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sometimes I mix half parmesan and half cheddar cheese.
I originally saw a Posh Squash recipe in my local newspaper 8 years ago, and it has been one of my favorites ever since. This version of it is wonderful! I, too, leave out the peppers, and used half parmesan and half yellow colby. We love it! I'm always looking for good squash recipes because every year in June we are swamped with squash from our garden. This is a very easy and very tasty variation of a traditional squash casserole.