Recipe by Ozzy
Was looking for a simple yet impressive Key Lime recipe and this one ticked all the boxes! All plates were cleared with no leftovers - need I say more?
For the Base
- 150 g digestive biscuits
- 65 g butter
- 25 g demerara sugar
For the Filling
- 2 egg yolks
- 397 g condensed milk (1 can)
- 3 limes, juice and zest of, grated
For the Meringue
- 2 egg whites
- 100 g caster sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.
- Place the biscuits in a food processor and process until crushed, or put the biscuits into a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and add the crushed biscuits and sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Place in a 20-23cm/8-9in pie or flan dish, pressing down well over the base and up the sides to form a case.
- Put in the fridge to chill.
- FOR THE FILLING place the egg yolks and condensed milk in a bowl and mix together.
- Then stir in the lime rind and juice until the mixture thickens.
- Turn into the biscuit case and smooth the top.
- FOR THE MERINGUE whisk the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric whisk until they form stiff peaks.
- Add the sugar a tsp at a time, whisking well and at top speed between each addition until all the sugar is used.
- Spoon or pipe on top of the filling.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until the meringue is golden and crisp on the outside.
- Serve warm or cold as preferred!