Recipe by Debi
A hearty fish soup from Greek With Gusto! Quick and easy - serve with a crusty bread and a green salad - and don't forget the wine!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, curshed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4-1 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs halibut (or mixture) or 2 lbs cod (or mixture) or 2 lbs red snapper, skinned and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (or mixture)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a deep pan. Saute onion, garlic and bell pepper until the onion is tender.
- Add tomato sauce, water, wine, parsley, oregano, thyme, paprika, cayenne, bay leaves and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add fish and continue to simmer, with lid slightly askew, for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with crusty artisan bread and some more of that dry white wine.