Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
It's like a patty melt---without the meat! Yummy! To make it vegan, use Tofutti brand American cheese. It melts quite nicely under the broiler and tastes just like the "real" thing.
- 2 portabella mushroom caps
- 2 teaspoons Braggs liquid aminos
- 2 teaspoons braggs apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 whole wheat hamburger bun
- 2 slices American cheese
- Place mushrooms bottom-side up in an oven-safe pan or baking dish and sprinkle with seasonings. Broil 3-5 minutes or until dark and juicy.
- Let mushrooms cool slightly. Meanwhile, place a slice of cheese on top of each bun half. Place under broiler for 1 minute or until nice and melty.
- Place a mushroom cap, bottom-side down, on top of each cheesy bun. Eat with a knife and fork.
Quick and easy and very good! My son, Chef #784894, suggested balsamic vinegar and that made them perfect! I used provalone cheese and added sliced tomatoes. Reviewed for Pick-A-Chef.
These were great, really flavoursome. Next time I make them - and there'll definitely be a next time - I'm going to try adding some garlicky cream cheese into the mushroom cup part way through grilling.