Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is for stuffing the Portuguese Turkey. Recipe found on New York Time Site. Portuguese cornmeal bread can be found at Portuguese bakery shops. It may also be sold at some Super Markets. Turkey recipe "Portuguese Turkey Brine"
- 1 quart water
- 1 quart milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bread (portuguese cornmeal bread)
- 6 Italian rolls (about 11 ounces total)
- 1 large Portuguese chourico, about 8 inches long
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb olive (black and green olives, pitted and cut into small pieces)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- white pepper, to taste
- 6 egg yolks
- salt, to taste
- Bring water and milk to boil in 6-quart pot.
- Remove crusts from cornmeal bread and cut bread into small pieces. Break rolls into small pieces.
- Reduce heat of boiling liquid to simmer and add rolls and cornmeal bread. Mix, remove from heat and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Mash bread with hands, or process it in a food processor.
- Put chouriço in saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil and boil 3 or 4 minutes. Skin chouriço; grind in meat grinder or food processor and mix into bread mixture.
- Saute onions with paprika in 4 tablespoons of hot oil until soft. Add the parsley, olives, tomato paste, hot sauce and white pepper.
- Combine onion mixture with bread mixture and mix. Add egg yolks. Season with salt, and saute in remaining 4 tablespoons hot oil.
- Cool dressing and stuff turkey.
- Bake remaining dressing in covered casserole at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes; this can be done in oven with turkeys, during last half-hour they are roasting.
- YIELD Enough to stuff two 12-pound turkeys, with plenty left over.
Exactly how mom use to make it, she is now longer among us, but is dearly remembered, and this receipe brough back some fond memories I have. My mom use to make this turkey stuffing all the time, whether it was turkey or chicken.Thank so much daisy for taking the time to post this receipe, this IS A KEEPER for ME!!