Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
Spicy South African Portuguese Braised Beef Common with peasant food, the origin of such a dish is hard to verify. It's believed to be popular in South Africa because of the Portuguese immigration from nearby Angola and Mozambique. The dish is traditionally served with a heap of chips (French fries) or Portuguese rolls.
- 2 -3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or 2 -3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kg cubed beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 -4 small hot red chili peppers, stemmed and chopped (retain the seeds)
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- bread, for dunking
- Marinate the beef in a mixture of Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce) and soy sauce for between 30 - 60 minutes. This will ensure that even the tougher cuts of meat are tender once cooked. Rinse marinade off meat before browning.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon margarine and 1 tablespoon oil. When the margarine is melted and sizzling, add about ¼ of the beef and brown well. Remove the beef cubes from saucepan, place in a bowl and set aside. Repeat with the remainder of beef, but in batches. Add 1 tablespoon margarine and 1 tablespoon oil between the batches as needed. Each batch should brown for about 3 - 4 minutes so the juices are sealed within the cubes.
- Reduce heat and add the onions, chili and their seeds, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or so. Sprinkle the flour over the onion/garlic mixture and stir for about 2 minutes or until thick.
- Add the stock, red wine (or brandy) and bay leaves. Stir until the sauce thickens and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the beef cubes together with any juices that may be in the bowl. Leave to simmer for about 20 minutes or until beef is tender and cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls with fresh bread rolls and/or fries.