Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is from www.tastycooking.com. This dish is made in Portugal.
Make and share this Portuguese Tomato Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 large tomatoes, peeled, chopped and seeded (can also used canned)
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil and butter in saucepan until butter is melted.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, then add rice, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Excellent recipe! So very tasty and easy to make!
I LOVE this recipe! I did use canned whole tomatoes and cut them up. I really like this as a side with any mexican dish; tacos, enchiladas, etc. I hate using boxed rice mixes. This is so much better and doesn't take much more time to make!
This is a very tasty rice dish not to mention easy to make. I would compare this dish to be similar to a paella. In fact I added 31/40 shrimp at the tomato simmer stage therfore needing a bit more chicken broth to accomodate the extra ingredient. Next time I will add some chopped green pepper along with the shrimp. A definate keeper in my recipe box. Thanks southern bell2627 for a great recipe.