Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
From Fleischmann's yeast.
Make and share this Portuguese Sweet Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- In small saucepan, combine water and potatoes. Bring to boil; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Drain potato, reserving cooking water. With fork, mash potato. Measure 1/2 cup mashed potato and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, lemon peel and salt. Heat 2/3 cup potato water, milk and butter until warm (105º to 115ºF). Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add eggs, reserved mashed potato and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. With spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- On lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes. (With Rapid Rise Yeast, cover kneaded dough and let rest on floured surface 10 minutes. Proceed with recipe.).
- Punch dough down. Remove dough to lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Roll each half to 30-inch rope; Coil in two greased 9-inch pie pans. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Bake at 350ºF for 40 to 45 minutes, or until done. Remove from pans; let cool on wire rack. Sift powdered sugar over coils.
This is a soft, light sweet bread that's great with a pat of butter. The potato is a throwback to the time when potato water captured yeast from the Mediterranean coastal air -- but it also helps produce the fluffy texture and subtle flavor. A great snack that would be welcome at a tea party. Made for Zaar World Tour 5.
Boil potatoe not from a box . try this recipe .