Recipe by saralouwho
This is a traditional Portuguese pudding. I use Splenda so that my diabetic husband can enjoy a taste from his childhood.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup short-grain white rice (Italian Arborio or River Rice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- lemon peel strip, without pith in large pieces
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- ground cinnamon, for decorating
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil in a 2 1/2 quart covered saucepan, stir in rice and salt. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until water is almost evaporated, abot 20 to 25 minute Rice will still be al dente.
- Stir in hot milk and lemon peel. Stir constantly and continue to simmer until mixture starts to thicken slightly, about another 20 minute.
- When rice is well cooked, stir in Splenda and cook until pudding has thickened to the consistancy of oatmeal. Rice should be very tender, about 5 to 10 more minute
- Remove from heat and fish out and discard lemon peel, pudding will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Pour into large flat serving platter. or individual serving plates to a thinckness of no more than 3/4 of an inch.
- Take a pinch of cinnamon between thumb and forefinger and rub together to dust the surface of the pudding.
- Variation. Take 3 egg yolks and beat in a small bowl. Tempper the eggs by putting 1/4 cup of pudding in the bowl and mixing well. Add to the pudding and quickly blend inches Makes almost a custard like consistancy.