Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sweet Rice is as individual as the cooks who make them. I've tasted sweet rice by different cooks, but I've never tried one that came close to the creamyness, and sweet, lemony flavour of my grandma's rice. This is her recipe. It takes about 30-45 minutes to make, but the results are well worth it.
- Turn stove to maximum. In a large pot add water. Peel most of the rind from one lemon and add the peels to the pot. Set lemon aside and turn stove down to medium.
- Add salt and margarine.
- When water is boiling, add rice. Stir constantly.
- When most of the liquid boils away, add 1/2 cup of milk. Stir. Repeat this step until all the milk is added.
- Remove rind from pot.
- Grate the rest of the lemon zest and add it. Add sugar. Remove pot from element.
- Slowly stir in egg yolks. (add a little bit of milk to the yolks first).
- Return pot to the element just until the rice boils. Stir constantly to avoid burning!
- Pour into casserole dish and allow to cool slightly before covering.
- Just before serving, sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Tip: for a stronger lemon flavour, use two lemons. Peel most of the rind from one for the cooking process, and grate most of the zest from a second lemon to add at the end. For a weaker flavour, use only one lemon and make it stretch for both.
Greetings from Portugal. Yes this is a typical Portuguese receipe especially around the Holidays, it is on every Portuguese table. Your receipe is the closestes Ive found to mine, I like to add 2cinnamon stick to the water and milk and just remove it when rice is cooked, and at that point I usually like to squeeze in the juices of 2 lemons, it gives it a very refeshing taste, and more lemony.. Well done its great seeing others posting Portuguese receipe.