- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 cup lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 5 -6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl.
- Stir in milk, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 eggs, salt, margarine or butter, and 3 cups of flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic - about 5 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and let rise in a warm place until it is double in size - about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough and divide in half.
- Shape each half into a round slightly flat loaf.
- Place each loaf into a well greased round 9" x 1 1/2" pan.
- Cover and let rise until double (a/b an hour).
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Beat 1 egg and brush over tops of loaves.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Bake until loaves are golden brown, about 35-45 minutes.